Saturday 9 June 2012

Jennie Rayment, embellished hexies, a street urchin doll and ...


Okay so the pic is dark but then I was sat at the back of the hall, at todays club meet. Jennie Rayment gave a hilarious and informative talk about the path she took to becoming the ultimate nip and tuck textile artist.
Can I just say she was clothed for most of her talk and the red thigh length boots she wears here, inspired by that fabulous film, Kinky Boots ( SUCH a fun film that, really and not what you imagine its about at all!)looked AMazing on her!
She travels world wide teaching and talking, so if you get chance to hear her or take her workshops........dont miss out.
Her talk will have you in tears of laughter at several points!
You will never have quite the same way of thinking about 'carry on' luggage, when next you fly.....
We have a very healthy sales table at club, the theory is that we all bring in and donate what we no longer need. Then the others amongst us, buy it and the money pays for the wide variety of tutors and talks we have each month.

I picked this up.....

it seemed a shame not to....!

Okay the street urchin doll is taking shape..for the work Topic Box..







Got to make him a jacket now, which will be alot harder than fashioning the clothing so far!

My local Scrapstore has this handsome beast in store, think it was used in a local parade.........and its been made out of 2" plastic tubing in hoops with scrap fabric and ribbons.
Not bad eh!




Not long ago I sold my Pfaff embellisher to a work colleague for her daughter to use in her textile student work........well I hadnt used it in ages, thought I, and I was planning to declutter, sell up and move.......so it seemed sensible.
Not a week later I fancied doing some embellishing lol duhh..
Then last week I watched a You Tube review about using the Simplicity Embellisher lol you KNOW whats coming dont you?
So I bought the 12 needle Simplicity lol

It came yesterday, so I gave it a thorough christening last night...grabbed a bag of felted wool off cuts and cut hexies from them.
I didnt particuarly colour cordinate and am not really sure what to do next to this piece of fabric.....Though will probably machine stitch edges together and may well applique by hand something on top...maybe...

I liked the Pfaff which had only 5 needles and it was a little larger than the Simplicity. But I do like this 10 needle machine, which of course makes faster work of what your thrashing hell out of.........
and has a nice square working surface/bed area for your hands to lay on and move the fabric about on.
Its cheaper than what I paid for the Pfaff several years ago too........bonus!
Interestingly I hadnt known that Pfaff had withdrawn their embellisher, I know some folks had foot pedal problems, though I never did.
And I only found out since its on the Winghams Wools website and they now sell the Janome embellisher instead of the Pfaff.

2 comments:

  1. oh i'm so glad you got to see Jenny Rayment. she is a riot. i saw her quite a few years ago at the houston quilt show where she did a one hour talk and stripped at the end, but all in white. she was doing a guild show not far from austin and my quilt bee invited her to do a class and she agreed. she stayed at my friend Diane's house overnight and taught us the whole next day. i have all of her books and have done some of her stitch techniques. this was a few years ago. i see on facebook that she is now a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap! I have the Simplicity too...need to buy more needles though!

    ReplyDelete